The Mobile Apothecary is a collaboration between Phytology (phytology.org.uk), Rasheeqa Ahmad (hedgeherbs.org.uk), and a growing network of talented volunteers spanning the areas of arts, herbalism, and horticulture/growing. Since April 2019, we have been bringing people together to collectively learn about medicinal plants and create herbal medicine for distribution to fellow community members facing barriers to health, food, and shelter.
- Healthcare, encompassing physical and psychological health, is a fundamental right that should be accessible to all people.
- People have the right to basic knowledge and skills in herbal medicine and medicine-making.
- Human health and planetary health are intertwined.
The Mobile Apothecary project facilitates
- Habitat & local urban environment connection.
- Collective ethical & sustainable growing, stewarding, and harvesting of plants.
- The making of medicines for some of the most vulnerable people within the community, with local resources and local hands.
Collectively making herbal medicine strengthens bonds between people and local ecosystems.